The Macular Degeneration Association (MDA) has recognized Island Retina as a Macular Degeneration Center of Excellence.
Striving to help patients locate outstanding treatment facilities in their area, the MDA recognizes outstanding practices dedicated to exceptional care, innovative treatments and technologies in the care of macular degeneration. Macular Degeneration Centers of Excellence go further in attaining and sustaining world-class care for their patients, providing the most cutting-edge treatments for this devastating disease.
Centers of Excellence distinguish themselves through their expertise and skill in the care and treatment of AMD. In order to receive this outstanding accreditation, facilities and physicians must meet specific criteria and approval from MDA after a rigorous review of qualifications. Some of these requirements include:
- Compliance of all applicable federal and state licensure and regulatory requirements
- Fellowship trained in retina and board certified in ophthalmology
- Members in good standing of both the ASRS and AAO
- Trained technical staff and diagnostic testing equipment available at the physical site, properly calibrated and maintained in compliance with manufacturer's standards
- Availability of FDA and Medicare approved medication to treat AMD
- Participation in multicenter study investigating new treatment options
- Present expert knowledge in the field of AMD through lecturing or publication
A full listing of qualifications can be found at macularhope.org.
Island Retina’s accreditation as Macular Degeneration Center of Excellence continues their efforts to dramatically enhance the healthcare services available to those suffering from AMD.