Tuna is the main source of omega-3 fatty acids and aside from the obvious delicious flavor of avocado, it actually provides nutrients that promote good eye health!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes enough tuna salad for 2 sandwiches
- 1 5-ounce can tuna, preferably packed in olive oil, drained
- 1/2 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Mix: Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork, mashing the avocado and breaking up the chunks of tuna as you go, until the ingredients are well combined.
Finish and serve: Add more oil or salt and pepper if necessary, serve on your favorite sandwich bread or toast.
Recipe source, Discovery Eye Foundation