Recipe by Whitney Bond
Total time: 35 minutes
Equipment needed: oven, large skillet, blender or food processor, and 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 12 oz pork chorizo or soyrizo
- ½ lb tomatoes, chopped
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, de-seeded and sliced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional Toppings
- sour cream
- sliced jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once warm, add the onions and bell peppers.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes then add the chorizo, or soyrizo, and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes, then set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by adding the chopped tomato, pumpkin puree, garlic, jalapeños, tomato sauce, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder and nutmeg to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Now get everything lined up on your countertop, the sauce, chorizo, tortillas and cheese.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish with a thin layer of sauce.
- Lay one tortilla in the sauce, then ladle 2 large spoonfuls from the blender of sauce onto the top of the tortilla.
- Spoon a small amount of the chorizo mixture into the middle and top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Roll the tortilla up, then repeat the above 5 more times.
- Take any remaining sauce and pour it over the top.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the optional toppings of your choice.