This easy salad is filled with eye-healthy ingredients. The vitamin C, found in the peppers, garlic, and lemon; beta-carotene found in the peppers; and the olive oil, rich in omega-3 fatty acids are all contributors to healthy vision. Enjoy!
- 2 12 oz jars roasted red or yellow bell peppers (or a combination), cut 1/4 in strips
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 6-8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- In a medium bowl, gently combine the pepper strips, red onion, scallions and garlic. Set aside.
- In another bowl, juice the lemon (3-4 tablespoons juice), discarding any seeds. Add the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and chili powder, and whisk in the olive oil.
- Pour some of the dressing over the pepper mixture, gently toss, and taste.
- Add additional dressing as desired and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh parsley and serve at room temperature.
Add some toasted pine nuts or walnuts. Serve on crostini as an appetizer and top with goat cheese or feta. Serve as part of an antipasto platter. Great with pasta too.
Recipe source, Discovery Eye Foundation